Neo-Anime Forums
Neo-Anime Forums
March 28, 2024, 03:35:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Gallery Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

What is a god mod?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a god mod?  (Read 276 times)
th31r1shguy
(self proclaimed) King of the Short Posts

not to be confused with th4t1r1shguy

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:39:37 pm »

A recent debate in the Battle for Neo tournament in our Battle Arena made me realize that we don't have too many guide lines concerning "God Mods."  The Roleplaying Guidelines page says that "there are no all powerful characters, and you are neither immortal or impervious to everything." (couldn't quote the page for some reason).  And that rule prity much works.  Somebody steps out of line, and everyone else calls him out on it and the post is changed.  But I think its also kinda vague.  What about posts that are just unfair or impossible to do in the current situation?  So I decided to come over to the debate forum to ask, "What do you think crosses the line?"   (it would be great if all of the dojo participants and moderators, aka everybody, would pitch in so we can get an accurate idea of what the population thinks.)

I'll go first.  The big ones that jump out at me are:
1. Forcing hits on an opponent.  Even the little jabs, if they land without contest, seem unfair to me.  A normal fighter wouldn't just stand there and get punched in the face, and then fight back.  He'd at least attempt to dodge or stop the punch.  And then unavoidable/unstopable attacks are pushing the all powerful and immortal boundaries.
2. Going outside the abilities posted in the character sheet. If your character had, say, super strength, they're not automatically given super speed or armor skin or stuff like that.  (that might be a bad example, by u guys know what im talking about)

These are realy the only things that bother me as far as god modding goes, but I've seen other types of offences.  I'm sure there's somthing that ticks the rest of you guys off.

(and please, don't think of this as an opportunity to attack someone about their roleplaying, theres no reason we can't be civil)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:40:10 pm by th31r1shguy » Report Spam   Logged

Shit Happens

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Shadow Crusnik
The Fallen God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:48:41 pm »

well irish i agree with you that some characters can go out of line. and i have a few things that tick me off as well.

I agree with you on the whole power thing. although i feel that if the power they used can be derived from there original power then its all good. and for the whole super speed thing, well lets face it at this point it almost seems that everyone uses it to some degree.

then the whole forced hit thing... well sadly some people are still not at the level where they can except taking a hit. If we left it to the other person they would always dodge some how, and it is also something that just can't be stopped no matter how hard we try cause if we dont force a hit every now and then post will be two lines maybe three. Everyone forces a hit even you did it in our fight. it just happens.

then the whole unaviodable attack, well there is always going to be some attack that can't be avoided. although i am with you on like an instant death attack. ex. putting a star in someones chest, freezing them, placing your hand on there head and disinigrating them. (i tried to include ones we have all tried at one point) i feel these are unfair unless you get the consent of the person your fighting.

this leads us to the problem no one wants to die for some reason. this one bugs me. i realize we almost always have some sort of ability but at some point you have to run out of energy, it is mearly a matter of energy conservation during a fight, and how well you use your surrounding. YOu got to keep it real people, just cause you got super powers doesnt mean you dont get tired. people who fight and keep pulling out huge powerfull attacks after the other, shouldn't be able to last forever.

Then there is recovering time. this is something else we need to work on. after a huge fight you can't possibably go into another one right off the bat full of energy again. (unless it is the tournment where it is stated your fully recoverd in your next fight) but some people think cause they sat out a minute of something have full energy again. it doesn't work like that.

the key to a good fight that people won't get mad at people is realisim. try to keep it close to the laws of nature, or atleast the laws and restrictions made by the thread.

well thats all i got for now, some other things will jump out at me eventually.
Report Spam   Logged

Even if the corpses pile up under my throne and my rivers flow crimson. I will not stop till I have reached my goal
Duama449
*narrows eyes* Read my sign!

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:19:02 pm »

Well  the one thing that gets on my nerves more than a force hit is a forced reversal of said hit. You go through all the trouble to think up and make a clever and cool looking attack or counterattack to a sitch and someone deflates It in a simple line like "dodging the attack johnny appears behind Jimmy and uses his most powerful attack to vaporize Jimmy." It shows no thought process and goes back to those days of pretend when the one little boy who hates to Lose makes up some stupid new rule so they don't. it's annoying to say the least. But you usually only see this in new rpers, And we all grow out of it. 
Report Spam   Logged

Dancing Artest kirby!!
   \\\\
<(0.0<)  

////
(>0.0)>
Kadri
.:: Empress of Yay ::.
Administrator

Shh... I'm invisible...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 11:07:31 pm »

Oh, of all the topics to stir up on a forum full of roleplayers... Roll Eyes

The way I see it, there's a fine line between god modding and just being a very, very good roleplayer. The difference usually comes with experience, ingenuity, and some good, old-fashioned finesse... Because if you really know what you're doing, you can get your characters in and out of all kinds of impossible situations without crossing into "god mod" territory.

Now... if we're going to list some major forms of god modding, no one has mentioned my Number One most hated god mod tactic yet:

The Character Swipe - When one person "borrows" someone else's character and makes them say/do something, without asking the creator's permission first.

I don't see this happen very often (because most other roleplayers will stomp that kind fire out really quick), but whenever I do see it it makes me want to grind my teeth out of frustration. It annoys me as much as the Insta-Dodge maneuver so many god modders are fond of...

A recent debate in the Battle for Neo tournament in our Battle Arena made me realize that we don't have too many guide lines concerning "God Mods."  The Roleplaying Guidelines page says that "there are no all powerful characters, and you are neither immortal or impervious to everything." (couldn't quote the page for some reason).  And that rule prity much works.  Somebody steps out of line, and everyone else calls him out on it and the post is changed.  But I think its also kinda vague.  

Don't forget the Battle Arena Rules. There are a few more rules concerning god modding listed there, specifically for the Arena fights (including no "Insta-Hits" and no excessive avoidance of attacks). Wink

And I just wanted to mention, it's awesome that you guys have been calling each other on slip-ups in the Arena and the RP forum and working things out without hitting the "Report Post" button every time something ticks you off (I've been keeping track XD). Way to go! Thumbs-up
Report Spam   Logged

Discord Tag#5403

Welcome to the Idiots Convention. Would you like a free t-shirt?

Oh look, I found my original Neo-Anime signature... Ah, good times... XD

th31r1shguy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:35:48 pm »

this leads us to the problem no one wants to die for some reason. this one bugs me. i realize we almost always have some sort of ability but at some point you have to run out of energy, it is mearly a matter of energy conservation during a fight, and how well you use your surrounding. YOu got to keep it real people, just cause you got super powers doesnt mean you dont get tired. people who fight and keep pulling out huge powerfull attacks after the other, shouldn't be able to last forever.

Then there is recovering time. this is something else we need to work on. after a huge fight you can't possibably go into another one right off the bat full of energy again. (unless it is the tournment where it is stated your fully recoverd in your next fight) but some people think cause they sat out a minute of something have full energy again. it doesn't work like that.

the key to a good fight that people won't get mad at people is realisim. try to keep it close to the laws of nature, or atleast the laws and restrictions made by the thread.

well thats all i got for now, some other things will jump out at me eventually.

Shadow has a good point with the "not wanting to die thing".  We've talked about this before I'm sure, but I think alot of this modding stuff, not just the dying thing, is because people get seriously attatched to their characters.  Maybe they're based on themselves in the real world, maybe they want to be the center of attention or main character in a story, or they just have some crazy idea that their character is stronger than it translates in the story.  And then if their character dies, no matter how important they might have been to the story, the controler attempts to glorify the death as much as possible (it happens every time, and i think its hilarious).   

But back to god modding.  I don't see as much of the forced reversal stuff that duama was mentioing, probably because everyone's been here for a while, but it is annoying when it happens. 

I could not possibly agree more about the recovery thing.  Like when a wounded fighter is still going at 100%, it annoys me.  When we were working on the begining of two sides before the new na switch I was kicking myself under the table thinking "theres no way i'd actualy be able to do this" (i started that roleplay by beating the crap out of my own character, but then got dragged back into the fighting... not smart)

I'm kinda torn about the character swipe thing, just because I've seen it help the story flow when it's used correctly.  Like when someone goes mia for a couple of days but is still needed in the current scene, you almost have to do it.  What I can't stand is when people hi-jack their opponent's character in combat and write their reaction to said people's attack. 

I agree with the whole "fine line between god modding and very good roleplaying", but I think the line is blurry.  Thats why we're here
Report Spam   Logged

Shit Happens
Duama449
*narrows eyes* Read my sign!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 04:28:06 pm »

I feel a god mod can only be defined by our own preferences to rping. Other forums dont have this level of organization (ive checked) And im am glad we can actually talk about it. i always hated it when people just yelled it without backing it up. (circa foxkillaz! *cringe*) we've come a long way fromwhen i joined the originial NA family in 2005 as a 2nd gen user and rpers were practically second class citizens or jus qualified as a "dojo users".
Report Spam   Logged

Dancing Artest kirby!!
   \\\\
<(0.0<)  

////
(>0.0)>
Kadri
.:: Empress of Yay ::.
Administrator

Shh... I'm invisible...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 06:50:20 pm »

I'm kinda torn about the character swipe thing, just because I've seen it help the story flow when it's used correctly.  Like when someone goes mia for a couple of days but is still needed in the current scene, you almost have to do it.  What I can't stand is when people hi-jack their opponent's character in combat and write their reaction to said people's attack. 

XD See, here is one of the distinctions between being a good roleplayer and a god modder, right there in your post.

When done out of necessity for the roleplay (as you said, if someone goes MIA for a few days), character swiping is not always a bad thing. I know how fast a storyline can fall apart if one of the principal players goes missing. Sometimes it's essential to borrow their character to keep the roleplay moving forward.

What I take offense to, is when someone is character swiping to promote their own selfish interests in a story, rather than for the greater good of the roleplay itself. Particularly if the person whose character is being poached is an active participant already (so there's no "they were MIA" excuse to hide behind). To me, it doesn't matter if they're trying to write someone else's reaction to an attack, or just sending the other person's character to fetch something for their character (or to make them agree to something)... no matter how I look at it, it is immature, childish, and disrespectful to the other players. And, in some cases, it may even be a hair-burning offense. >>;

we've come a long way fromwhen i joined the originial NA family in 2005 as a 2nd gen user and rpers were practically second class citizens or jus qualified as a "dojo users".

It also helps that when the old NA closed, it was primarily the Dojo users that followed to the new NA. Wink

In all seriousness, though, we have come a long way. And though the RP areas are as active as ever, most of us are fairly active elsewhere on the forum, too. I think that was one of the main gripes of the original NA users, and the reason that most of the roleplayers were becoming known as "Dojoists"... because they were active in the Dojo, only, and didn't contribute to the rest of the forum much (or at all).
Report Spam   Logged

Discord Tag#5403

Welcome to the Idiots Convention. Would you like a free t-shirt?

Oh look, I found my original Neo-Anime signature... Ah, good times... XD

Shadow Crusnik
The Fallen God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 07:12:52 pm »

I must say all these are good arguments, and i agree with kadri 100% on the whole good rp'er and go modder. cause if you really know your stuff you can get away with alot, without it going outside the relm of well what you origanly stated.

and on the side note to the whole "dojoists" thing, it was hard to make an apperance outside the dojo at the orignal na cause some of the active members would wait to pounce on you even for the small stuff. While in the dojo most of the time it wasn't an attack on you. which is somewhat ironic do to the nature of the dojo. basically the dojo people were alot nicer then the people who hung out ont he rest of the bored. Now don't get me wrong there were some really nice people out there but most of the active ones where not so nice.

but anyways back on topic. i really feel it is what you can explain logically and rationally. If you just say well its a given, no that doesnt work, but if you can tell us where that ability is dirived from in your orignal or even profile, then i think it is ok. that is unless it goes outside the relm of the rp to begin with
Report Spam   Logged

Even if the corpses pile up under my throne and my rivers flow crimson. I will not stop till I have reached my goal
Munky
spazz

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 07:58:30 pm »

wtf, we still have dojo problems?

its been like the same 6 or so NA family members rp'ing with each other for yrs, i would think you guys would know each other in and out by now. but then again, i haven't really been in the dojo for awhile so maybe its more complicated than what it seems.

as far as god-moding goes, its always been a problem here at NA. best advice, whenever someone comes up with something really witty and you can tell there was a lot of thought in it, reward it by letting it take a toll on your character. even goku took some hard hits, you can't whip an instant transmission out your ass and dodge everything. then the fight is pointless, just a series of your best moves being effortlessly evaded, without even a good explination. once you get down towards the end of the fight, it should be obvious who's going to win. you can just read through the post and the person who has the most creative well written methods of attacks stands out. just a matter of admitting when you've been bested and useing your efforts to make an epic ending instead of trying to force a win.

one thing that does grind my gears tho is whenever someone puts 2 attacks in one post. like, "van shot a lightning bolt in xira's back....then his eyes turned red and he summoned up a sky dragon to drop a lightning egg from the sky crushing xira causing the entire stadium to collapse on her". like...damn, can i have a chance to recover from the lightning bolt in my back first. you could of had a really good response to a move but never given an oppurtunity because the other person ended it for you.
Report Spam   Logged
Lil Spawn
The Hellspawn from Heaven

Whoa...you a got a huge boogie right there...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 04:46:07 pm »

I was talking to a buddy of mine a some days back about this. We used to RP on Gaia YEARS ago, and we talked about an old RP we were in about some Old Power Rangers and New Age Power Rangers. This one guy kept going on and on and on with constant attacks never letting any of the other RPers respond to his attacks. He said, "Oh well New Age Power Rangers have way more attacks and more weapons so we can do that." Umm correct me if I'm wrong but the New Age Power Ranger get they're a$$es kicked more than the originals did lol.

But to get to my point, this is one reason why I slowed down on my RPing. When you get all you moves avoided, then it's not fun anymore. Or when you don't get a chance to use a move you wanna do.

Now as far as the Super Strength thing goes, ehh...I mean the Incredible Hulk had super speed too lol, but the Hulk is an exception to this rule.
Report Spam   Logged

th31r1shguy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 06:59:23 pm »

i think the multi-hit is a unaminous winner here.  looks like we'll know what to look for in the next fight  Thumbs-up

but about the hulk, sure he might have been quick because of his strength, but he wasn't the flash or anything.  and correct me if im wrong, but i never heard about the flash using cars as boxing gloves either
Report Spam   Logged

Shit Happens

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: