Neo-Anime Forums
Neo-Anime Forums
March 28, 2024, 06:27:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Gallery Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The NA book circle (Literacy tested, Idiocy not approved)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The NA book circle (Literacy tested, Idiocy not approved)  (Read 1733 times)
demon-fayt
"I find it kind of funny, i find it kind of sad; The dreams in which I'm dying are the best ive ever had..."

"The slower we move, the faster we die..."

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: December 10, 2009, 08:44:48 pm »

XD I'm so mean. Basically, I though I'd dust off the ole' Coffee shop section in the NA house, Warm the place up a bit with a nice fire below the mantle piece, and a big old comfy chair with  some Earl Grey, and a big ole pipe (just like grandpa :p). I suppose the main purpose of this is like a 'What are you reading currently' thread.

I'm currently reading 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy (the book that the film is based on), and boy....If it weren't for my aptitude for random mood swings, I'd need some serious psychiatric help, because this book is DEPRESSING! Also, apparently Mr. McCarthy has some sort of one-man vendetta against Comma's and quotation (the latter of which is NEVER used once in this book >_<). It makes reading it a bit confusing at certain points, but after a while, you get used to it

and because I heard as such, To ail the aforementioned depression, I also picked up a copy of 'Up in the Air' (yes, yet another book that has been adapted into a film.) From what I have read of certain reviews, it's just the type of pick-me-up I will be needing after my completion of The Road.

the last thing I read before this was Neil Gaiman's 'The Graveyard Book' which was by all accounts enjoyable, but in my opinion was a bit short, and ended quite oddly. Its a cliffhanger, but you aren't really left with that sense of 'Oh man, I really hope he writes more about this' because in the end, it's just as how it should have been. Its like running into the great wall of china if you were to be pacing down a narrow corridor.

Eh thats my 2 cents. What have you all been reading?
Report Spam   Logged

Pro quis causa does vir diligo tamen ut certe certo sui suus satisfaction?

Click to view my Personality Profile page" border="0[/url]

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 06:44:34 pm »

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle, Midnight Tides; Volume V of the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson and Hamlet by William Shakespeare. I need to read The Giver by Lois Lowry again...
Report Spam   Logged

I hold you in the highest regard, my friends.

Kadri
.:: Empress of Yay ::.
Administrator

Shh... I'm invisible...

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 02:48:26 pm »

I recently finished Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen... for the forty-thousandth time. It's one of my all-time favorite novels.

And once I do some more unpacking, I intend to reread The Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher, again. I need to refresh myself with the Codex Alera series before I go buy the next book in the series...
Report Spam   Logged

Discord Tag#5403

Welcome to the Idiots Convention. Would you like a free t-shirt?

Oh look, I found my original Neo-Anime signature... Ah, good times... XD

demon-fayt
"I find it kind of funny, i find it kind of sad; The dreams in which I'm dying are the best ive ever had..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 03:30:17 pm »

Speaking of such things. I need to go and check out Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Its supposedly as epic as it sounds. All the drama of Jane Austen with the terror of George A. Romero
Report Spam   Logged

Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:14:45 pm »

Speaking of such things. I need to go and check out Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Its supposedly as epic as it sounds. All the drama of Jane Austen with the terror of George A. Romero
Yeah, I've been hearing about it for a long time. I need to watch the movie, too...
Report Spam   Logged

Kadri
Administrator

Shh... I'm invisible...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 02:42:56 am »

Currently working on First Lord's Fury, the latest of the Codex Alera novels by Jim Butcher. I'm about halfway through it already and loving every minute. <3
Report Spam   Logged

Discord Tag#5403

onyx_is_radiant
i reject your reality, and submit my own.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 08:38:42 am »

Just finished: The Mark of the Lion series- Francine Rivers
Reading: Wicked!
Report Spam   Logged

The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters. And God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
Kadri
Administrator

Shh... I'm invisible...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 11:10:25 pm »

I finally finished First Lord's Fury, by Jim Butcher. Overall, it was a really awesome book... but I'm sad, because it was also the last book in the Codex Alera series. I was hoping that the story would go a lot further, and in the end it left me wanting more. On the bright side, there's plenty of room for a sequel, if Mr. Butcher ever has time to explore one.

I'm currently reading the fourth book in the Temeraire series, Empire of Ivory, by Naomi Novik. It's an awesome historical fantasy, but sometimes it makes for slow reading so it's taking me much longer to finish than most books... although I am super-excited to hear that Peter Jackson (LotR) has optioned the rights to the series, and is considering making it into a miniseries. Please, God, let him do it right. x__x;
Report Spam   Logged

Discord Tag#5403

onyx_is_radiant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 05:32:04 pm »

Read- Frankenstein and Pride and Prejudice.
Now reading- The Lovely Bones.. Yeah, I know it's coming out in theaters, but my Aunt suggested it, and I'm a few chapters in.. Pretty good so far.
Report Spam   Logged

The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters. And God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
demon-fayt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 06:14:27 pm »

Am, at some point, getting around to reading 'The Alchemist'. Supposed to be really good, and it's s short read, so Im sure it wont take TOO long.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:08:26 pm by demon-fayt » Report Spam   Logged

Veraledy
Figment of the World's Imagination

Cirque du Belladone

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 01:02:13 pm »

Read: Blindness by Jose Saramago. Wow, was that an interesting book, they did decently with the movie, but unless you read the book then you wouldn't get the movie. It takes getting used to the lack of punctuation, but its worth reading.

Gwenyfhar by Mercedes Lackey. It's an amazing take on the three Guiniverres.

Reading: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, been reading it since AUGUST. This AP Language and Composition class is obnoxious! We're supposed to read three other books before the year is out. Why would you ever want to get a doctorate in The Scarlet Letter? Shakespeare's works, now that's understandable.

Still working through The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie. Interesting. Haven't read enough to conjecture anymore conclusions.

Can't wait to get a copy of Seeing by Jose Saramago. Its supposed to be as insightful as Blindness was, no pun intended.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:03:32 pm by Veraledy » Report Spam   Logged

"Walker in Darkness, from whose face earth and heaven long ago fled." Truant, House of Leaves
Kylii Kyfirus

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 04:09:05 pm »

I'm currently working on The Alchemyst by Micheal Scott. Amazing book, lots of action and it explains everything. If you've ever had an interest in Nicholas Flamel, I suggest picking it up. I've got The Alchemyst currently, The Magician, and The Sorceress are sitting on my shelves waiting to be read and The Necromancer will be out in May. Can't wait. But, after that we have to wait a year for each.

I'm also psyched about Maximum Ride. I've been reading the series over and over again, waiting for news of when the movie will be released. It's due this year, but they havn't even released cast yet. It's quite depressing. But, we'll just have to wait.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:10:00 pm by Kylii Kyfirus » Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron
Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 02:40:57 pm »

I finished all of the above and am midway through Volume VI. I'm going to take look at the two you read, Veraledy. The latter sounds very interesting... Yeah, Hawthorne is a royal pain. I am sorry for your loss.
Report Spam   Logged

demon-fayt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 08:45:41 pm »

have FINISHED 'The Alchemist' and it was relatively enjoyable, until around the end where it careens off into a very blatant message about God manifesting the dreams of believers. It almost literally pregresses such as 'plot plit plot plot desert plot plot inspirational quotes plot God God God plot plot God God God wind God God God God God God God God plot-device as leeway to God.' Griping aside, its pretty good. Definitely recommend it as a read for anyone wishing for something short and intelectual. And I have FINALLY gotton started on 'Up in the Air' which was way ahead of its time in lampooning the corporate America that executives believe they enjoy. Greatly enjoyable.
Report Spam   Logged

onyx_is_radiant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 03:43:34 pm »

EH, Lovely Bone- worst ending. EVER. Movie- left way too much out..

Dear John- Nicholas Sparks.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: