Neo-Anime Forums
Neo-Anime Forums
April 19, 2024, 01:05:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Gallery Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Last Airbender

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last Airbender  (Read 228 times)
Munky
spazz

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:55:13 pm »

uhm....I know their was a lot of doubts on this one buuuut.....new trailers lookin kinda nice Thumbs-up

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-last-airbender-other-avatar.html

looks like they stuck to the script (unlike filthy marketing cunts who made dbz Angry). lookin good, and i KNOW you saw the water tribe princess cameo in there. about to go all godzilla on the fire nation. i mean, m night shyamalan pisses me off as a director, but it looks like he's going to do this one justice. or atleast i hope. good trailer, but you still cant say much from only 2mins of film.

i'm really rootin for this one tho. not to mention i'm a dev patel fan.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kadri
.:: Empress of Yay ::.
Administrator

Shh... I'm invisible...

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:59:49 pm »

I'm dying, I'm dying...

I seriously cannot wait for this one to come out in the theaters. The trailers that I've seen are VERY promising. I just hope Shyamalan can live up to the hype and follow through with a great movie to match the trailers. There's definitely a lot of potential in the series, if he can tap into it.

AUGH CANNOT WAIT!!! Dead
Report Spam   Logged

Discord Tag#5403

Welcome to the Idiots Convention. Would you like a free t-shirt?

Oh look, I found my original Neo-Anime signature... Ah, good times... XD

Xira
Uncia

Be careful, I bite.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 06:19:31 pm »

I'm dying, I'm dying, M Night is gonna kill my favorite anime series ever. Poor Zuko got turned into an ugly ba*****, the water tribe people are pale skinned and the fire nation, dark skinned.
I'm also worried about the time constraints. There is no way they can fit in all that needs to be explained in just one movie. I swear to God if they try to wrap up the story after just the season one finale (when Aang goes phyco with the moon spirit fish) I will be really disappointed.
Report Spam   Logged

Duama449
*narrows eyes* Read my sign!

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:02:24 pm »

Well Xi, that is what they make sequels for! I could see them making a movie for each of the three books of water, earth, and fire. In all honesty I'd be angry if they ended the movie anywhere before the finale of the first book.
Report Spam   Logged

Dancing Artest kirby!!
   \\\\
<(0.0<)  

////
(>0.0)>
Xira
Uncia

Be careful, I bite.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 04:31:40 am »

Indeed, the finale was pretty freakin' cool. I think it's going to be the messed up aesthetics of the characters that's going to bug me most. As long as M Night sticks to the original plot, no blood need be spilled.
Report Spam   Logged

onyx_is_radiant
i reject your reality, and submit my own.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:03:24 am »

Reallly looking forward to this movie, haha. Although, I sweaaaaaaar if M Night screws it up, then there are going to be MANY angry fans, me including. I loved that show.
Report Spam   Logged

The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters. And God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
Kadri
Administrator

Shh... I'm invisible...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 01:25:22 am »

Well, my friend and I went to see The Last Airbender tonight. We've both been looking forward to this one since we heard it was being turned into a movie... and we were both worried that M. Night was gonna screw the entire thing up.

Personally, I'd give it two stars (maybe three) out of five. (Obviously, I'm not as harsh as the majority of movie critics--I didn't find it to be that horrible.)

Of it's high points, I really loved the casting (particularly of Aang, Katara, and Zuko) and the fight scenes were fun--especially the finale... But I think they tried to cram WAY too much into the allotted 1 hr 40 min time frame and they ended up rushing to get to the "big finish".

As a whole, many of the scenes (throughout the movie) seemed very disjointed, and if you've never seen the first season of the TV series it would probably be really hard to follow how they get from point A to point B. Also, they didn't spend nearly enough time developing the characters. Aang and Zuko got a little leeway with this (Aang had a lot of "internal" stuff going on with his guilt and flashbacks 'n whatnot, and Zuko got a few decent bits of dialogue where Dev Patel could really get into character and build on his actions), but Katara and Sokka stayed pretty flat. Again, I think they just tried to squeeze too much into too small a space. They should've gone the full two hours (or two and a half) and fleshed it out a bit more. I would've sat the extra time if it meant a higher quality movie. =/

Hopefully, the next two movies (yes, supposedly M. Night is planning to do a movie per season, so we should expect two more sometime in the future) will show a bit more fluidity and character movement.

And on an off-note... I wonder what the "uncut" version is like, and what sort of scenes were removed before this thing came to theaters... HMMM.

So what it boils down to is, if you're already a big Avatar: The Last Airbender fan... go see the movie. If you're not, wait til it comes out on DVD or one of the movie channels.

Thumbs-up
Report Spam   Logged

Discord Tag#5403

Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 04:16:07 pm »

I am a bit turned off by this rating: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/.
Report Spam   Logged

I hold you in the highest regard, my friends.

Kadri
Administrator

Shh... I'm invisible...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 05:16:46 pm »

I am a bit turned off by this rating: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/.

Yeah, that's definitely a put-off.

I'd say they went wrong in the very beginning when they put the screenplay together, and it just went downhill from there. They were trying to squash WAY too much into just an hour and 40 minutes, and they were rushing the beginning and the middle to get us to the finale.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with the cast--I think they did as well as they could with a POS script. But the way the scenes were pasted together, and the lack of meaningful dialogue from the major characters... it was like seeing the very bare bones of Avatar, without the meat to really hold everything together. You never get a chance to "fall" into the movie and get absorbed in what's going on, or attached to the characters in any personal way.

Although, anyone that already knows the series has a distinct advantage over people that are coming into the story cold. At least I knew what was going on between the scenes during the movie, and I could sympathize with Aang and the other characters because I'm already attached to them from watching the series.

Edit: "I See Damp People" - Best Review EVER XD
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:20:12 pm by Kadri » Report Spam   Logged

Discord Tag#5403

Munky
spazz

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 06:45:59 pm »

wasn't that bad. wasn't great either, but was pretty kool movie. all you have to do is manage to get past the first 30-40 minutes of the film. after that its all gravy. they tried to squish too much in the beginning by briefly covering key points and QUICKlY moving on to the next one. without the momentum leading up to those key points it just comes out Corney and pointless. the first 30-40 min is also filled with horrible acting and the cheesy scenes.

but like I said, once you manage to push down your gag reflexes through the first 30min, its a kool film. dev patel and whoever the guy who played is uncle were the best actors in the film by far, making their portions pretty enjoyable. towards the middle they finally got a chance to slow down and tell the story the way they should. I really want to see toph and azula so I really hope they go on to continue the series...just hope they slow it down and do it right.

ALSO! in the film M knight decided to use the correct pronunciations of the characters names....not such a smooth move. it may be very american of us to pronounce ang as AY-ng. but the name UH-ng just doesn't role off the tongue as nicely.
Report Spam   Logged
ValkyrieOfDreams
Dream-Weaver

Innocent but deadly...

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 10:33:21 pm »

Didn't they say his name more like AH-ng istead of how you say they said UH-ng?
Report Spam   Logged

I am the one you fear at night. I can give you beautiful dreams...or I can give you nightmares. Which would you prefer?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: