Neo-Anime Forums
Neo-Anime Forums
March 28, 2024, 03:18:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Gallery Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

God (as a Concept)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God (as a Concept)  (Read 141 times)
Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: March 20, 2010, 10:55:43 pm »

After some deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that if both suffering and God exist in the world, then one of the following must be true: either he lacks omnipotence, he is not omnibenevolent, or he is not aware of everything at all times. Discuss.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:58:03 pm by Kadaj » Report Spam   Logged

I hold you in the highest regard, my friends.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Duama449
*narrows eyes* Read my sign!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:14:05 pm »

Hmm, i always find this type of topic interesting. Let's look at heaven as we would any major governing body. We have the leader, in this case god. Now we know that god is said to be omnipotent, but if that concept were true, what would be the purpose of angels: god's messengers? If he were truly omnipotent why wouldnt he simply appear before us all like he did to moses or better just talk to us. now dont get me wrong im very religious, But that doesnt mean i cant take a step back and examine my own religion. In fact, id go so far to say that in order for heaven to "function" it have to be some kinda super bureaucracy.
Report Spam   Logged

Dancing Artest kirby!!
   \\\\
<(0.0<)  

////
(>0.0)>
Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 11:29:17 pm »

Hmm, I was thinking on a more basic level, but that is a good point. We know that God is not a statist, though.

To restate my argument: if God is both all-powerful and he means only good, on top of knowing what has, is and will happen, then why does he not fix everything? One has to go.
Report Spam   Logged

Shadow Crusnik
The Fallen God

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 11:54:12 pm »

i feel it is more like this really. God created us not of his own image but to work up to something. He gave us the ability to thin for ourselves and choose our own paths. So i feel he is alowing us to work towards something. I think it is almost impossible to say god is perfect. Cause if he is then yes the correct question is why not make us all perfect. If so what would god have to gain by not making us perfect other then the fact that we would also all be gods. Now if that is the reason wouldnt that make god petty? and if he is petty then he is not perfect.

well to be perfectly honest i dont really believe that. i have my own far off beliefs that strived from looking at severl reliegons and coming up with my own theory.
Report Spam   Logged

Even if the corpses pile up under my throne and my rivers flow crimson. I will not stop till I have reached my goal
Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:47:17 pm »

I have been toying with the idea that God is a shared subconscious for while, but that still does not fit in with this problem. So far it seems to be a rock solid wall of an argument, though solipsism is still a valid school of thought if it is true.

What theory would that be?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:50:31 pm by Kadaj » Report Spam   Logged

Shadow Crusnik
The Fallen God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 05:55:37 pm »

umm well it is hard to explain but as for just on the god concept, it is along the lines of, god is a higher power not perfect but close to. He makes mistakes hence evolution and such also the reason some species went extinct. there is alot more to it but it is dificult to explain it all especaily if i dont exactly know what you are looking for. if you have anymore questions about what i think just ask me. And if you do decide to ask me please be specific with your questions. or ask mulitple to cover questions you have.
Report Spam   Logged

Even if the corpses pile up under my throne and my rivers flow crimson. I will not stop till I have reached my goal
th31r1shguy
(self proclaimed) King of the Short Posts

not to be confused with th4t1r1shguy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:50:56 pm »

My turn!
From this viewpoint, I've gotta say, you guys are spot on.  But... I think it depends on your definition of perfect.  If perfect means to be flawless, all knowing and/ always correct in your thoughts or actions, with the absense of sin, evil, and incorectness, then God in some regards is not perfect, as we see with things like evolution, the flood, etc.  But if you let the word perfect mean balanced or symmetrical, then God and all of his creations are already perfect.  Going back to the first post, suffering exists so that happiness can exist.  Without one, the other would simply be called "normal" and we wouldn't know the difference.  The same goes for the meaning behind life and death, good and evil, wealth and poverty, peace and war, and even saints and sinners (if there were no sinners, we wouldn't need/have any saints).  And even the bible says (in revelations, i think) "I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end..." 

The only thing that this concept doesn't realy apply to is gravity, because stuff that goes down doesn't always get back up...  Cry  so you could very easily argue that the world isn't fair and this balance doesn't exist, but I think it makes sense this way.  Personally, I don't believe in "perfect," at least in this world.  I believe in very good, but once you call something perfect you remove the possibility for it to grow and change. 
Report Spam   Logged

Shit Happens
Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 10:12:01 pm »

But if you let the word perfect mean balanced or symmetrical, then God and all of his creations are already perfect.
This is only true if suffering is the absence of good, which is not the case. Suffering as a concept goes from depression or fatigue to death, while good exists as a separate concept that goes from mediocrity or normalcy to theoretical perfection. Because you cannot have so little good that it becomes suffering, and you cannot have so little suffering that it becomes good, no such balance can exist. One could not say that "there is an equal amount of both suffering and good" at any one time because they are not opposites.
Going back to the first post, suffering exists so that happiness can exist.  Without one, the other would simply be called "normal" and we wouldn't know the difference.  The same goes for the meaning behind life and death, good and evil, wealth and poverty, peace and war, and even saints and sinners (if there were no sinners, we wouldn't need/have any saints).  And even the bible says (in revelations, i think) "I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end..."
As stated earlier, they are separate concepts, not opposites. If the Bible is to be believed, for example, Adam and Eve were happy without suffering before Satan came in. There is no "need" for either trait, let alone a need for both in order to exist. The same is true of all of the other pairs that you mentioned other than wealth. Wealth and poverty are always balanced and are inversely proportional. Balance is possible because the sum total of worth is always the same at any given time. The same is not true for any of the others.
The only thing that this concept doesn't realy apply to is gravity, because stuff that goes down doesn't always get back up...  Cry  so you could very easily argue that the world isn't fair and this balance doesn't exist, but I think it makes sense this way.  Personally, I don't believe in "perfect," at least in this world.  I believe in very good, but once you call something perfect you remove the possibility for it to grow and change.
I would have to disagree, though a balance of gravity is impossible to claim. Conflicting masses would attract other masses. Gravity does not "pull you down"; it pulls you towards every massive object. The larger the object, the stronger the pull. Your body pulls up on the earth as well, but it's movement in relation to you is immeasurable. I agree with the last part on perfection, but I believe that it does exist. It has not been obtained, but the limit is out there.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:15:08 pm by Kadaj » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: