Neo-Anime Forums
Neo-Anime Forums
April 19, 2024, 04:01:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Gallery Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Manga=Comics?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Manga=Comics?  (Read 161 times)
sensationalninja

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« on: May 30, 2010, 05:59:27 am »

so I would first like to say I am a person who enjoys both anime and american cartoons aswel as manga and comics. It is also for this reason that I can't understand why so many people on both sides can look at the other medium and get so angry at it or about it. I will use an example.

Ichigo and Blue beetle (third generation)

Both have inherited a title and decided to live up to it.

Both would give their own lives for their friends and family and go through hell to help them

Both take on a different look when they get ready to fight.(and this is what really gets me is even in manga series that include transformation into a different form people can't see how similair it is to when superman or dynamo 5 suit up)

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 05:45:33 pm »

Hmm. I would have to say that the main difference is the variety of setting and emotional range, as well as stereotype. The manga character types and stories range very far and wide, while what I have seen of American comics they are far more realistic and more along the lines of historical fiction, scif-fi or mythology than general fantasy; they call them comics which are differentiated from graphic novels, because the manga are more like novels. I have yet to find a comic that includes as much emotion or comedy as any of the manga that I have read.
Report Spam   Logged

I hold you in the highest regard, my friends.

Duama449
*narrows eyes* Read my sign!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 06:18:19 pm »

Howard the duck, haha. But seriously, i admit i do get a little upset when they compare manga to just reg comics. I do love comics very much, but there is a definite differnce in content and choice of main heroes in both anime and manga. Manga general post adolescenxes as the title/main character while comics for the most part cast 20-30 yr olds as the hero. Also i feel a manga is more willing to poke fun at the main char and put him in embarassing sitches, especially if it's an ecchi manga. While comics more often than not focus on the struggles of coping with leading a double life. Basically i think mangas take themselves a little l3ss seriously than comics in general.
Report Spam   Logged

Dancing Artest kirby!!
   \\\\
<(0.0<)  

////
(>0.0)>
Veraledy
Figment of the World's Imagination

Cirque du Belladone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 03:17:07 pm »

There are similarities, and differences few and far between. However I think that while there are comics now that are formatted as manga, I Luv Halloween for exapmle, and vice versa that there is a difference in styles, and that Chris really hit the nail on the head with his post. Though I do agree that getting angry about it is a bit ridiculous.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:17:39 pm by Veraledy » Report Spam   Logged

"Walker in Darkness, from whose face earth and heaven long ago fled." Truant, House of Leaves
Duama449
*narrows eyes* Read my sign!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 01:39:23 pm »

You also have to consider the differences in cultures. Though we emulate japanese culture, and vice versa in some ways in japan's respect we have to realize that some of their jokes do tend to go over our heads.
Report Spam   Logged

Dancing Artest kirby!!
   \\\\
<(0.0<)  

////
(>0.0)>

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: