Neo-Anime Forums
Neo-Anime Forums
April 19, 2024, 11:02:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Gallery Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Open Pandora

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Pandora  (Read 119 times)
Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: June 07, 2010, 05:06:37 pm »

This just went to the top of my wish list, and that will not change until I have it.

-----------------------------------------

The Pandora is a mixture between a PC and a gaming console. That's why it has gaming controls (Buttons, DPad and analogue nubs).

It is fast enough to emulate many other systems, run a full desktop, access the internet via FireFox and play games such as Quake3.

However, it is not as big as a netbook. Believe it or not, it will fit in your pocket. It's a bit bigger than the Nintendo DS.

The screen is an impressive 800*480 resolution LCD and the battery life is a sensational 10+ hours.

But the most interesting part is probably that it isn't designed by a large company, it was designed by the suggestions and requests of hundreds of people on the gp32x forums. Over several months those suggestions were fine tuned in to what you see today, a completely new open source handheld.

And yes, the Pandora is running an OpenSource OS: it's basically Ångström-Linux with some Pandora-specific changes. The source code is here: (git.openpandora.org).

Source: http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=5&lang=en

-----------------------------------------

One of Pandora's major intended uses is for homebrew gaming and for the emulation of older computer systems and video game consoles, which is possible through efficient use of the resources made available by the Texas Instruments OMAP 3530 SoC. The Pandora developers have already shown working emulators for Dreamcast, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Amiga, SNES, Atari Jaguar and Sega Mega Drive software, and the Pandora is thought by its developers to have the potential to emulate most if not all machines older than the Dreamcast.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_%28console%29#Overview
Report Spam   Logged

I hold you in the highest regard, my friends.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Xira
Uncia

Be careful, I bite.

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:28:28 pm »

Ooh, that sounds like a system I might just lurf (after my lovely ps3 that is). I'm already thinking of ways to build a super computer network.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: