Neo-Anime Forums
Neo-Anime Forums
March 29, 2024, 07:38:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Gallery Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Creeping Curse of Corellia

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Creeping Curse of Corellia  (Read 982 times)
mookyvet

Queen of Chaos

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:18:50 am »

Blue skies heralded a day that was to pass without much trouble.  It was a day that would bring families out into the streets of Corzel for a festival that came but once every decade for a King that had barely been on his throne for a year.   

The wait for dawn was as much torture as anyone could imagine and as the sun pierced the horizon it was no surprise that the majority of Corzel was already awake and hurrying to finish what little business still remained before the kingdom's troubadours would begin the first of several rounds about the kingdom's circular streets.   

Meat pies baked in neat shells within dozens of ovens about the city, flowers filled whatever held space, and banners dyed with colors that even put shame to the prettiest of rainbows flew high above the cobblestone and dirt streets.

And high above this happy place a pair of silver eyes scanned the land as a hawk watches it prey. 

The time to strike was now.

It began with little more than a rumble that crept through the earth like a serpent, slithering through the streets and up the high walls of Corzel Castle's outer walls.

The magician Haitel stirred within his quarters, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.  He had felt it.  It was faint, but he had most definitely felt it.  He threw the covers from his body and raced to the nearby window, throwing it open with a roar of frustration as his eyes scanned the horizon.   

They worked in ways a normal man's could not and he his lips worked quickly, repeating the faintest of magic spells to find this power.  He felt it coiled, tightly honed, a spell that to most magic wielders had been lost.

Soon, his eyes settled on his target.  A figure stood upon the edge of a great precipice, their crimson robes lashing about them in the wintry winds.  Red-stained lips commanded strings of magic that descended about their home like spider's silk.  He recognized this spell and as his eyes read her lips he could tell she was already quite a way's into it.  He could his body quaking, his skin growing clammy.   

"Who the hell is this woman?!" he whispered hoarsely.  His mind was swimming.  There was no time to waste.

The man raced from his quarters in his bedclothes, jumping the majority of stairs that wound their way up his personal tower, and found himself speeding through the main corridor of the west wing, pick up half a dozen guards that seemed to have trouble keeping up with him much less stopping him to question his suspicious behavior.

He searched the kingdom from the center of it's sprawling city to the very outskirts as he raced to the main hall, his magic searching through the minds, bodies, and spirits of the many residents until it found the ones he'd searched for.

A talented number of children, a number he did not have the time to count in the little time that remained, that held the faintest signs of unquestionable talents in the the art of battle or the arcane and he let their spirits leach the magic from his body as he hurried through the main gates and into the city itself.

The power that stretched from the mountains flickered, then roared to life.  She'd felt it and decided she would no longer waste time in making delicate preparations.

That was when the nightmare began.   

A dank smell rose from a well in the center of Corzel and filled the alleys and streets around it, startling the many townsfolk that milled around it.  They circled it, holding their noses as they tried to investigate.   
 "What is that wretched odor?"  one asked.

"Where did it come from?  Did someone dump their garbage down the well?  The bucket's not up here..." asked another.

The nearby tavern owner waded through the town, grumbling as he shoved a produce merchant aside, grabbed the crank for the well's bucket, and began to turn it.

The smell grew worse and the citizens around it backed away.  Haitel froze on his way by, watching the crowd with horror.  The smell reached his nostrils and he took off again, grabbing a push-cart while it's owner was distracted.

The tavern owner leaned towards the well to peer into its depths as he turned the crank.  He could hear something below, echoing against the stone walls.  It was bubbling.

He started to suggest that a hot spring may have opened, that he heard the sound of boiling water, when a rush of black tar spilled over the edge of the well wall and onto the ground around it.

The people nearly fell over one another as they scrambled to get back.  The dark pitch caught a pair before they could move far enough, clinging to their legs like the hands of the devil itself and pulling them in.   

Then, it rushed out for more. 

Screams filled the alleyways, echoing across the sky, and though Haitel could barely breathe he still continued to run.   

The rush would start soon and he would be trample beneath it, so he worked with all the speed and efficiency that he could muster.

He knocked open the door of a small home, weaving a swift spell that lulled the family inside to sleep.  Then, he stole through their home, found the child he searched for, and carried them out to lay within the hay-filled cart.   

On, then, he made his way to the next and the next as panic and death filled the streets of Corzel and he'd gathered perhaps half a dozen or so children before he reached the city's limits and dragged the cart to a nearby farmhouse that had been abandoned for the day for the festivities.   

Two by two, he carried the children inside and set them on the floor, fishing a bit of chalk from his pockets and drawing a shaky rune about them as quickly as he could.  Then, he settled in the center, hugged their small bodies against him, and began chanting anew. 

The city roared in the distance and the dreaded black pitch spread further and further from its center, growing stronger the more it devoured and the farther it travelled.  The energy it exuded made him dizzy, but he could not let that deter him.   

A voice whispered to him, like a lullaby from the god of death, and he could feel his entire body tremble and as the tendril's from their mountain observer tried to close in on him, to consume him...he and the children vanished.

Panic swept over all of Corzel and their King could do nothing but cower on his throne until he, too, succumbed to the darkness as the witch's dark brew crept through the throne room windows and devoured all inside.

Clinging to the earth, it spread across the land and filled the Aspelai Valley as if it poured from the underworld itself.  The valley became a basin, filling nearly to the brim with an evil so thick that even those across the high seas could feel its weight spilling out into the world, bubbling and churning beneath the clear, blue sky.

-----------------------------------------------

Years passed and the darkness grew and ventured out and over the next fifteen years it would go on to swallow four more kingdoms on the Viraldi continent, two seas, and a lake before edging onto the Laekshai continent’s western shores. 

Only one other remained untouched and on the Bern continent, far within the depths of the Great Southern Forest of the Kingdom of Rigel, smoke trailed from the chimney of a cozy little two-story cottage.

Inside, Haitel stood before a fire, his old hands stirring a great pot of stew that filled the house with the scent of meat, vegetables, and a small amount of spices he’d managed to gather over the years. 

He let out a small sigh, his eyes wandering to an old clock hanging from the wall.

“All of them are late,” muttered Haitel.  “They’ll hear it from me when they get in, I can promise that…”

(Update: You can find more information and post Character Sheets in the OOC forum now. ^^; )
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 07:18:25 pm by mookyvet » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Black Rose

View Profile
Combination Level 3 Level 2
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 07:12:44 pm »

The scent of food fills my nose as I sit in my perch up in the trees outside the house. Though hunger is far from my mind at this moment. Listening to the others below as I scratch my nose, I wonder about it again. That... that dream... I had that dream again. I haven't said a word about to Haitel since the last time. The old man worries and frets over things unseen.

"Stupid dreams... full of nonsense and make-believe. But..."

But this dream did not feel like a dream, and the voices sounds to real to be a figment of my wandering imagination. I am not a child anymore and there are far more important things to concern myself with. Stroking the fur of the squirel that had come out of hiding to rest in my lap, I pull an acorn from my pocket and feed it to the little fellow.

"Here you go little one. I know its not much, but you can have it."

As the squirel scamppers further up the tree with his treat my stomach growls, and my mind returns to the meal that Haitel is brewing inside the house. I think I'll slip back inside while the food is still hot. Sure he might say something for being late, but at least the food will still be warm. Streching my arms I let out a sigh and make my way down the tree.

(Edit: No character sheets in the actual RPs, please. Thanks! ~Kadri)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 07:22:45 pm by Kadri » Report Spam   Logged
ValkyrieOfDreams
Dream-Weaver

Innocent but deadly...

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:08:20 pm »

Merydith's head cocked to the side as she heard a rustle in the trees above her. Rozaline was no doubt playing with the critters of the forest and she couldn't blame her. They WERE adorable creatures. She leaned against the tree and tilted her head back. It was almost dusk, and the orange and pink sky sent beautiful rays of light through the openings of the leaves of the forest. Nearby, her sensitive hearing picked up a gargling brook. In another area, there were deer playing in the bushes. She smiled. All of this calmed her and made all worries go away. However...she stood and brushed her bottom off. She stared up at Rozaline and put her hands on her hips. "Rozaline! Come on, the food is almost ready. You know how he gets when we meddle and we are late for dinner." She laughed to herself and added, "I'm going to head home now. Are you going to come?" As she waited for an answer, she played with the bracelet on her wrist. A charm hung from it and she could easily touch it with the finger on that same hand. It was a small stone in the shape of a pair of wings. Haitel told her it was a medium for her to help in casting spells. She loved it.
Report Spam   Logged

I am the one you fear at night. I can give you beautiful dreams...or I can give you nightmares. Which would you prefer?
Black Rose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:50:37 pm »

About halfway down the tree I hear Merydith's voice call up from the ground bellow and I pause for a moment. A grin spreads across my lips as I hear her voice though I do not relpy. As she calls up again I sigh realizing that I am hungrier than I thought as my stomach growls again.

"If you play with it too much you might wear it out before its time," I call down to her as she walks away.

Dropping to the ground after climbing down a few more branches I take a moment to strech my arms and legs really good. A yawn escapes my mouth as I finish stretching and I race towards the house taking a shortcut along the way. My mind now eclisped by my hunger I barely notice the leaves in my hair as I race towards the house.
Report Spam   Logged
Shadow Crusnik
The Fallen God

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 01:23:14 pm »

Chrome came walking out of the woods near the house with Will by his side, it was obvious that Will was helping Chrome with his sword technique. They had been working together for years now to try and create a different sword style. Chrome then noticed Rozaline run past, "Hey you should clean up a bit before you go into the house!" He called out to her pointing at the leaves in her hair. He chuckled a bit because no matter what he said or how many times anyone told her she wouldn't change.

He then turned around and noticed Merydith, "hey what are you up to?" He called out to her with a kind hearted smile. Then a loud growling was heard which startled Chrome till he realized that it was coming from his stomach. "Looks like im hungry." He said to Will and Merydith. He then smelled the food and realized that was why Rozaline was in such a hurry. Chrome dusted himself off and rested his practice sword against the side of the cabin. AS he walked in he noticed a slightly annoyed looking Haitel. "Sorry about being late," He began rubbing the back of his head "But me and Will lost track of time, and well you know." Chrome then began to feel slightly nervous because him and Haitel were just having a staring contest at this time and Chrome was already overly self conscious about his red eyes.

((my stupid internet went out the first time i tried to do this))
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 01:23:48 pm by Shadow Crusnik » Report Spam   Logged

Even if the corpses pile up under my throne and my rivers flow crimson. I will not stop till I have reached my goal
Xira
Uncia

Be careful, I bite.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 02:18:30 pm »

Mystallia had spent the whole day at the lake meditating by the water. It's reflection of the high sun rippled across her supple features.  Fat, delicious  looking fish swam in the water in front of her. She swirled her finger around in the air and the water below her moved as she conducted it. She swirled her fingers and a small section of the water rose, a fat fish still swimming inside of it.

Myst reached out and grabbed the fish, digging her claws into it loosely to one, put it out of it's misery and  two, to keep it from slipping out of her grasp. "Haitel will appreciate this." She said to herself. "And hopefully forgive me for being late."

She walked along at a brisk pace and shortly arrived at her destination. Haitel stood there looking slightly irate. The other children Haitel had adopted after the disaster also seemed to be arriving.

she walked up to him, attempting to look remorseful at her tardiness, then held out the fish to him. "I'm sorry for being late. This is for our table." Her arrival seemed to break the odd stand still that had been occurring between Haitel and Chrome.
Report Spam   Logged

Black Rose

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 07:47:19 pm »

I had already seated myself before the others arrived. Pulling my pack from my back and place it in my lap as Haitel turns towards to stare at Chrome, but I then return my attention to my pack. Slipping my hands inside the pack I grin and pull my hands out and place a bag upon the table in front of me. The scent of freshly caught fish catches my attention as I look up to see Mystallia presenting a fish to Haitel. Grumbling a bit I return the bag to my pack and place the pack at my feet.

"Now that the stare off is finished may we settle down for dinner."

The old man casts a glance at me as I look over to see him looking at me. Scratching my nose I realize that that there's a bit of dirt on my face.

"Alright... *sigh* I'll go clean up."

I rise from me chair and grab my pack before heading up to my room. Setting my pack beside my bed I dust myself off and go to the washstand to wash my hands and face. After drying my face and hands I proceed back downstairs to recailm my seat. I notice the old man look at me and shake his head with a grin, but I have no clue as to why. I've washed my hands and face, and even dusted off my clothes. Streching my arms I reseat myself and make myself comfortable in my chair. My stomach grumbles again.  I really should quit skipping out on breakfast.
Report Spam   Logged
mookyvet

Queen of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 08:47:11 pm »

Haitel sighed as everyone began to filter in from whatever had been occupying their time for the day, setting down the long wooden spoon he'd been using to stir and taste their dinner. 

"You're lucky I haven't eaten it all already." he grumbled, trying to sound a little more terse than he really was.  To be honest, he was always happy to see them.  Letting himself admit it, however, felt like something that would ruin the 'air of wisdom' he tended to brag about having.

Myst's peace offering, however, did manage to make him smile and he took it carefully from her hands.  "I'll make something good out of this just for you." he said, sounding a bit more kindly than normal as he set it down nearby.  His eyes scanned the room. 

"Hmm...we're still two shy of a dinner party, it seems..."
Report Spam   Logged
th31r1shguy
(self proclaimed) King of the Short Posts

not to be confused with th4t1r1shguy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 09:23:12 am »

"So, what's the occassion boss?" Will asked as he entered the room behind Chrome.  He had taken to calling Haitel 'boss' some years before, and the name seemed to stick regardless of what Haitel thought.  He decided not to appologize for being late, being that EVERYONE else had appoligized before him.  It was becoming redundant.
Report Spam   Logged

Shit Happens
ValkyrieOfDreams
Dream-Weaver

Innocent but deadly...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 11:53:57 am »

Mery sat on an old but comfortable armchair, relaxing. Every evening was like this, it seemed. They would leave in the morning, explore the surrounding forestry and mountains, then come home at dinner to eat Haitel's delicious food. They all took turns cooking but it seemed that the kind man loved to make dinners for them. She glanced around the room and smiled again. A few strands of her blonde hair had fallen in her face but she didn't push it behind her ears like she usually did out of habit. She was just so content and happy  about everyone getting along in this small home. It was...magical. She began toying with her miniture wings on her bracelet. 'When will I gain my wings...' she wondered.
Report Spam   Logged

I am the one you fear at night. I can give you beautiful dreams...or I can give you nightmares. Which would you prefer?
Xira
Uncia

Be careful, I bite.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 07:08:48 pm »

After Haitel had taken the fish from her Myst went inside the house and looked around at the state of things. Clean, and tidy as usual. This was no surprise to Myst, the state of one's home reflected the state of the inner self. And Haitel was as good as they came in that regard.

She sat down at the large table that was their 'family' dining table. It was a large rectangle at which Haitel usually sat at the head, and his disciples in the chairs to either side. Myst preferred to sit near the foot of the table because as a small one she had a hard time accepting Haitel and this seat had just become habit to her.

She closed her eyes and rested her chin on her hands, waiting patiently for dinner. When a new member of the 'family' would come in she would open her eyes and give them a nod of greeting.
Report Spam   Logged

mookyvet

Queen of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 01:35:06 am »

"Occasion?  Do I need an 'occasion' to share food with my family?" Haitel asked as he turned towards the pot again to make sure he didn't overcook it.

In all his years before the events years ago, he never imagined living a simple life like this.  There had always been conflict and even though it seemed much more dire now, given The Curse's slow spread...right now, he felt good. 

He felt happy.  Still, he did seem a little more upset than he normally did. 

The door swung open again as he reached for his wooden spoon, a sturdy young frame striding inside and stopping on the makeshift thatched rug spread out on the floor before the doorway. 

She let out a heavy sigh, her hair wild and partly free from her ponytail, her leather boots specked with mud.  Over her shoulder hung a sack, heavy and full.

"Phew...it took longer than I thought to get these pheasants..." she sighed.  She moved to take a step inside, but froze when Haitel took a look at her boots and flashed her a glare so fierce that she could feel the chill in her spine.

"Manners, Talia." he said sternly.  She backed up until she stood just outside the door again.

"I think...I'll go put these away and wash up..." Talia murmured before hurrying off to the small shed attached to the little cottage.
Report Spam   Logged
Black Rose

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 04:39:19 pm »

Rozaline grins as she looks at the girl's muddy boots.

"I'm not the only one who has to remember to clean up around here."

Scratching my nose I give her a wink as I lean back and adjust myself in my seat. I turn to notice the old man giving me a look as he turns back to the pot, and I sigh and shrug my shoulders.

"At least I rembered to wash my hands and face, and I even dusted myself off before returning to the table. Besides... It's not like anyone remembers to cleaning up when its my turn to serve a meal. Which reminds me tomarrow is my turn and I'm making something that will leave you all wanting seconds."

Rozaline still has yet to notice the flowers and leaves in her hair, but they are always gone by morning... usually by morning. She has started to notices the dirt that she collects through the day more often now. Maybe the tomboy in her is finally ready to become a lady... or maybe she's grown tired of being scolded, but its hard to tell since she acts a little odd lately.
Report Spam   Logged
mookyvet

Queen of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 04:51:23 pm »

"Yes, Rozaline, and I thank you for that." said Haitel.  He took a spoonful of stew, turned, and made his way over to her, holding his free hand beneath it to catch any drops of juice so it didn't fall to the floor.  "Try this for me.  You've always had a keen sense of taste."

His eyes scanned the room, waiting for her to taste it and addressing the others in the room.  "We have a visitor tonight.  I hope you all will welcome him warmly."

Outside, Talia carried her prized fowl to the shed at the side of the house, humming as she moved to hang the bag from a hook dangling from the ceiling a few feet inside that would keep it just high enough to avoid the grasp of  curious foxes. 

It was then that she noticed something different: pawprints in the mud outside the shed. 

She was immediately on edge.  "Where did those come from?" she murmured to herself.
Report Spam   Logged
ValkyrieOfDreams
Dream-Weaver

Innocent but deadly...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 05:34:57 pm »

"A visitor, sir?" questioned Merydith. It was uncommon for visitors to enter their home, given the circumstances. "Haitel, are you certain that is wise to invite someone here? Do you trust this person?"
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: