Neo-Anime Forums
Neo-Anime Forums
April 19, 2024, 01:26:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Gallery Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Lycanthropes Vs. Vampires.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lycanthropes Vs. Vampires.  (Read 2280 times)
Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 11:16:34 am »

So far I see you guys are ignoring the fact that both species originally came from the same legend. Consider that in the oldest version of Dracula, the Spanish film, Dracula turned into a wolf as well as a bat. Here is a bit on the connection, and I may look up more later...

In Medieval Europe, the corpses of some people executed as werewolves were cremated rather than buried in order to prevent them from being resurrected as vampires. Before the end of the 19th century, the Greeks believed that the corpses of werewolves, if not destroyed, would return to life as vampires in the form of wolves or hyenas which prowled battlefields, drinking the blood of dying soldiers. In the same vein, in some rural areas of Germany, Poland and Northern France, it was once believed that people who died in mortal sin came back to life as blood-drinking wolves. This differs from conventional werewolfery, where the creature is a living being rather than an undead apparition. These vampiric werewolves would return to their human corpse form at daylight. They were dealt with by decapitation with a spade and exorcism by the parish priest. The head would then be thrown into a stream, where the weight of its sins were thought to weigh it down. Sometimes, the same methods used to dispose of ordinary vampires would be used. The vampire was also linked to the werewolf in East European countries, particularly Bulgaria, Serbia and Slovenia. In Serbia, the werewolf and vampire are known collectively as one creature; Vulkodlak. In Hungarian and Balkan mythology, many werewolves were said to be vampiric witches who became wolves in order to suck the blood of men born under the full moon in order to preserve their health. In their human form, these werewolves were said to have pale, sunken faces, hollow eyes, swollen lips and flabby arms. The Haitian jé-rouges differ from traditional European werewolves by their habit of actively trying to spread their lycanthropic condition to others, much like vampires.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:50:57 am by Kadaj » Report Spam   Logged

I hold you in the highest regard, my friends.

th31r1shguy
(self proclaimed) King of the Short Posts

not to be confused with th4t1r1shguy

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 02:02:47 pm »

I woulda thought the book, even though it's been translated, was the oldest version.  Kadaj is right though, dracula does turn into both.
Report Spam   Logged

Shit Happens
Xira
Uncia

Be careful, I bite.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 07:28:25 pm »

Yeah, the book came first. I thought thought that true lycanthropy came from it's own myth. There are biblical and ancient Roman references that some friends and I on another forum were discussing
Report Spam   Logged

Duama449
*narrows eyes* Read my sign!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 08:17:04 pm »

Dracula could become a wolf, not a wolf hybrid though, so you really can't say he'd beat a lycan in his full moon form as a regular werewolf.
Report Spam   Logged

Dancing Artest kirby!!
   \\\\
<(0.0<)  

////
(>0.0)>
th31r1shguy
(self proclaimed) King of the Short Posts

not to be confused with th4t1r1shguy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »

right.  the werewolf has evolved from just turning into a normal wolf over the years.  I think what we were saying is that its derived from the same tale.... which really doesn't matter now that they're seperate legends
Report Spam   Logged

Shit Happens
Xira
Uncia

Be careful, I bite.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 10:27:14 pm »

It wasn't though. There are references to werewolves in lore long before Dracula was written. The ancient Greek tale of Lycaon is a prime example.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:29:07 pm by Xira » Report Spam   Logged

Lil Spawn
The Hellspawn from Heaven

Whoa...you a got a huge boogie right there...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 12:43:57 am »

Dracula could become a wolf, not a wolf hybrid though, so you really can't say he'd beat a lycan in his full moon form as a regular werewolf.

True. Which makes me wonder something else. The original Lycan at his/her strongest(whether it was a controlled change or not, the strongest would be under the full moon) versus Dracula(Who I don't think really had a "strongest" point due to him just being...well Dracula lol), who would win? Now...before everyone just jumps and says "DRACULA" think about it for a second.
Report Spam   Logged

Munky
spazz

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 05:35:41 pm »

wow..when i first saw this thread i was like, "serious discussion, really?". but sure enough, NA has found a way to turn this into a very analytical debate.

personally gotta go with lycans because i've always been a wolf dude, that and see vampires as just too damn feminine. but if you want to debate who'd win in a fight, it would all depend on the caliber of beast. an average lycan can mow down an average vampire any day. throughout mythology lycans have always been built to be stronger brute strength wise over vampires.

BUT, lets say its feudal japan era-- get a mob of samurai vampires with a vampire shogun? yeh, think they could slice through a gang of lycans with ease. i'd even go to say a high class vampire could beat a high class lycan. simply cause vampires are a breed of high technique and i'm sure he'd find a way to out think the lycan into victory. vampires are kinda like spider-man...and lycans are venom. usually its brains over brawn but venom so strong it out powers spideys tactics. but somehow he still comes out with the win.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:36:44 pm by Munky » Report Spam   Logged
Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 12:53:01 am »

I woulda thought the book, even though it's been translated, was the oldest version.  Kadaj is right though, dracula does turn into both.
Well, yeah, there is that, but I was thinking strictly of the films. I was not sure of the book, not having read it, nor the other films, as I have not seen them in a long time.
wow..when i first saw this thread i was like, "serious discussion, really?". but sure enough, NA has found a way to turn this into a very analytical debate.

personally gotta go with lycans because i've always been a wolf dude, that and see vampires as just too damn feminine. but if you want to debate who'd win in a fight, it would all depend on the caliber of beast. an average lycan can mow down an average vampire any day. throughout mythology lycans have always been built to be stronger brute strength wise over vampires.

BUT, lets say its feudal japan era-- get a mob of samurai vampires with a vampire shogun? yeh, think they could slice through a gang of lycans with ease. i'd even go to say a high class vampire could beat a high class lycan. simply cause vampires are a breed of high technique and i'm sure he'd find a way to out think the lycan into victory. vampires are kinda like spider-man...and lycans are venom. usually its brains over brawn but venom so strong it out powers spideys tactics. but somehow he still comes out with the win.
Oh, yes; Munky brings up a great point here. Don't lycans lose their sense of reason when they transform, unlike vampires? That would be very crippling, in the end of things, if you think about it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:53:45 am by Kadaj » Report Spam   Logged

Xira
Uncia

Be careful, I bite.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 01:57:11 am »

Oh, yes; Munky brings up a great point here. Don't lycans lose their sense of reason when they transform, unlike vampires? That would be very crippling, in the end of things, if you think about it.
It depends on where the lore is coming from. If it's English European mythology then they were "unable to control their urge to kill" but still had an awareness of self and what they were doing. Often leading them to become manically depressed. However if it's pretty much anywhere else then the lycan had much more control of themselves in their feral forms, they merely had really nasty cravings to kill and feed.
Report Spam   Logged

Kadaj
καλλιχτι

It was ever thus...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 02:57:41 pm »

It depends on where the lore is coming from. If it's English European mythology then they were "unable to control their urge to kill" but still had an awareness of self and what they were doing. Often leading them to become manically depressed. However if it's pretty much anywhere else then the lycan had much more control of themselves in their feral forms, they merely had really nasty cravings to kill and feed.
Ah, okay, then. Well, one thing is for sure about lycans. They do not have to feed to continue living. Vampires will die if they are so much as kept away from people for extended lengths of time. It should be obvious who would win there, in a prolonged fight.
Report Spam   Logged

Xira
Uncia

Be careful, I bite.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 07:47:58 pm »

Oh yeah, get some of the eastern lycans to stage a siege on a vampire fortress and it would be sure fire victory.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: