Neo-Anime Forums
Neo-Anime Forums
April 19, 2024, 05:06:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Gallery Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

8.8 Magnitude Earthquake hits Japan.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8.8 Magnitude Earthquake hits Japan.  (Read 125 times)
demon-fayt
"I find it kind of funny, i find it kind of sad; The dreams in which I'm dying are the best ive ever had..."

"The slower we move, the faster we die..."

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:01:07 pm »

Yeah, that's not a typo: an Earthquake with a magnitude of 8.8 hit right off the coast of northern japan, causing shock-waves and Tsunamis as large as 10 meters high to travel as far as from Hokkaido all the way to Okinawa.

I wasn't able to see the live feeds, but I was able to take a look at some of the videos from those caught in the middle.
Report Spam   Logged

Pro quis causa does vir diligo tamen ut certe certo sui suus satisfaction?

Click to view my Personality Profile page" border="0[/url]

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Xira
Uncia

Be careful, I bite.

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:11:38 pm »

Wow! 8.8 oh, wikipedia says 8.9. That makes it the 7th largest earthquake in history. O.o
Report Spam   Logged

Kadri
.:: Empress of Yay ::.
Administrator

Shh... I'm invisible...

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 07:48:46 pm »

Wow! 8.8 oh, wikipedia says 8.9. That makes it the 7th largest earthquake in history. O.o

Actually, I've been watching the news all day and now they're saying that it's the 5th largest earthquake in recorded history. And they're still experiencing some pretty powerful aftershocks, too. Very scary stuff. (And yeah, the newspeople are saying it was an 8.9 magnitude quake now, too. Yikes.)

But really... I think Japan is probably the most earthquake-savvy nation in the world. Even more so than the United States. Their buildings and roadways and whatnot are built specifically to withstand earthquakes. For instance, the tracks for the bullet trains have built-in sensors that tell them if the tracks are even a tiny bit damaged--and if something happens to the tracks, they trains are automatically stopped. And did you guys see the footage of those tall high-rise buildings? They swayed a lot... but I didn't see any of them come down during the quake. It was pretty freaky to watch, but it was also impressive.

The worst part about this disaster is probably the tsunami damage. It's like Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans... only worse. That's going to take FOREVER to get cleaned up, and to repair all of the damage caused by those waves. =/

And the two nuclear reactors that were having problems. I think their backup generators failed, and they were overheating. But last I heard, they had that under control... so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that they get those reactors cooled down and there aren't any meltdowns.
Report Spam   Logged

Discord Tag#5403

Welcome to the Idiots Convention. Would you like a free t-shirt?

Oh look, I found my original Neo-Anime signature... Ah, good times... XD

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: